President Muhammadu Buhari has told the Service Chiefs that their “best is not good enough” in view of the deteriorating security situation in Nigeria.
The National Security Adviser, retired Major General Babagana Monguno, who briefed State House reporters on Thursday after a meeting with service chiefs, said President Buhari was concerned over the current security situation.
Monguno said the President told the service chiefs that his administration came to power on the promise to tackle the security challenge, revive the economy, and deal with the scourge of corruption. He said the pursuit of economic growth and the war on corruption would be an “exercise in futility” without security.
He said the President had told the security chiefs that he would not accept any further escalation of the current situation as no one among them was forced on him. Monguno said the President said it was left for the service chiefs to live up to expectations.
“We must also find a way out to address the use of hard drugs and the proliferation of small arms and light weapons,” he also said.
The NSA, who said he submitted that the current effort to tackle security challenges would not take the country to promised land unless the government put an end to the use of unregistered SIM cards.
He said the President had directed him to work with the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, to tackle the issue.
Munguno, who said the President was also disturbed by lack of synergy among the security agencies, called the Governors of North West and Niger State for a meeting on the current security challenge.
Security challenges Nigeria has witnessed an increase in crime especially in the Northern part of the country in the last few months as Boko Haram Terrorists and bandits carried out killing sprees in communities at will.
Last week, multiple attacks by bandits on many villages in three local government areas of Faskari, Sabuwa and Dandume in Katsina State led to the death of over 60 people.