Dr. Nasir Sani-Gwarzo, the Chairman Ministerial Taskforce on COVID-19 in Kano has debunked media report attributing the prevailing mass deaths in Kano to COVID-19 pandemic.

 

There were media reports credited to Sani-Gwarzo saying majority of mass deaths recorded so far in the state could be traced to the deadly COVID-19 pandemic.

 

Reacting to the media report at a press briefing in Kano on Tuesday, the team lead however insisted he was misrepresented by the media on the cause of deaths in Kano.

 

Sani-Gwarzo, who vehemently denied the report attributed to him claimed he wouldn’t have pronounced the cause of Mass Deaths through the media when the mandate rested solely on the shoulder of the state government.

 

“The Team is suffering from a rumour. Some newspapers reported wrongly that the team rolled out the percentage of people who died as a result of COVID-19.

 

“That is not true. What we told journalists was the team is embarking on studies to get to the root of the matter. 

 

“We are conducting a verbal postmortem, collecting samples from the graveyards and I told them until these studies are concluded and the result is out, we can not say in affirmation the real cause of mass deaths in Kano”. Sani-Gwarzo noted.

 

He explained that only the Kano state government has the responsibility to announce the out of the studies, whether or not the mass deaths are linked to COVID-19 pandemic.

Leave a Reply